Heather Yako attends the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication. She is a junior at the Cronkite school majoring in journalism with an emphasis on broadcast and a minor in sociology. Last year, Heather worked at the State Press as a Multi-Media Journalist and State Press Entertainment as a reporter. She is currently interning with ABC 15 Smart Shopper. In the near future, Heather hopes to become a reporter and eventually become an anchor. She believes more than anything, public speaking is a fear for a lot of people. However, once a person can overcome their fear, they have the ability to learn how to conquer it. She also believes that this skill is very valuable and is essential to have regardless of what field you’re in.
Site PurposeEver feel the nerves that you get in your stomach before giving a speech? While that is only normal, sometimes it can get the best of you. This blog will help you understand the different fundamental ways of public speaking and how to over come your fear in front of an audience.
- 826 hits
- NBA Lockout November 8, 2011NBA Lockout is out of control! The current update is that owners are looking to give the players 51/49 and the players still aren’t budging! Players are starting to play outside the country just to get in work. I don’t understand why players won’t except 51% and they insist on getting 52. Really?? This is […]HeatherYako
- Tax your Gold and make MONEY! October 20, 2011Jewelry is a collectible, just like coins or stamps, and is subject to a capital gains tax of 15 percent stated by the irs if it was owned more than a year. Sell your gold and be able to tax it and make money!HeatherYako
- Department Of Education October 6, 2011All public schools are now receiving a letter grade as whole. Their are pros and cons to this new rule and some people see the good in it and some feel like that its not a good idea.HeatherYako
- How to calm your nerves before a speech… February 21, 20111. A strong suggestion is to have thorough knowledge of the subject matter you will be speaking on. Be well-informed from personal experiences if possible and study well no matter what the topic is. Knowing your subject gives you confidence and plenty to say. 2. Expect to experience the butterflies in your stomach feeling each […]HeatherYako
- Learning how to become a GREAT public speaker January 26, 2011JUST SAY IT!! Giving you the 411 on public speaking. First and foremost, we all understand how hard it can be at times to sit there in front of an audience and try to present the best speech possible. However I will provide you with some helpful tips to get you on your way in becoming […]HeatherYako
- Getting your audiences engaged is better than having their attention January 26, 2011When you’re giving a speech, get your audiences attention by “engaging” them instead of trying to grab their attention. 1) Engagement vs. attention– Engagement can be more valuable then attention. When you engage your audience they are more likely to interact and pay attention to what you’re saying. Grabbing their attention isn’t good enough. People […] […]HeatherYako
- NBA Lockout November 8, 2011